Tuesday 5 November 2013

Stairs

I would love to change my banister. Right now it's a lovely, traditional banister with white spindles and dark wood rail. The stairs themselves are carpeted. And it's super boring. I used to think I wanted to keep the traditional look and just update it with paint like this
via
So beautiful and elegant. A classic look that shouldn't ever feel dated. Buuuut..... it does feel a little too fancy(?) for me. I have wanted this look for my staircase before I ever owned a staircase. But since moving into this house I find myself more and more drawn to modern. So now I want this
via
via
via
Monica Penaguiao
via
via
The above images show that a glass banister staircase can fit into a contemporary, semi-traditional style home. I like to think of my style as modern eclectic but I'm not exactly well versed in design to know how right or wrong I am with that categorisation. Regardless, I think the stairs would look great in my home, not out of place. Tomorrow I hope to post about changing my front door. There, my choices may be a stretch. In both budget and style. I don't want my changes to look odd or out of place. But I also don't want to be stuck in the traditional mold my house is demanding. A fine line for sure.
And then the mommy house wife in me swears off any more glass surfaces all together because I know I'll spend the rest of my life in this house cursing smudgy finger prints all over my stupid design choice and I think screw it I'll go wrought iron.
via
via
Lauren Liess
Vogue Living Australia
And in the meantime - because lets be honest, these stairs are not getting replaced in any near or distant future except for the very distant - I can either paint them out all black:
Kelly Wearstler
all white:
Greg Natale
or all grey:
via
so yaaa.....

What do you think? What's your favourite look for stairs? Have you ever considered changing yours?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...